Purpose & Need for the Southern Corridor Projects
The intent of this statement is to provide a clear vision of the purpose of the Southern Corridor Project and to identify the needs to be considered during the location study.
- • Provide primary method to move traffic east of I-15 from St. George to Hurricaine.
- • Accommodate areas of future growth.
- • Reduce traffic on existing and future city streets.
- • Current transportation/road system is inadequate to meet needs of anticipated growth.
- • Minimize congestion and potential safety issues attributed to inadequate transportation system.
When federal funding is used for a project, the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) procedures must be used during the project approval process.
The foundation of the NEPA procedures is developing a purpose & need statement. All alignments must meet the statement. A “preferred alternative” is selected based on how well it meets the purpose & need, in conjunction with factors such as environmental impacts costs and public input.